Friday, October 19, 2001

Supposed to be

Supposed to be 10/19/2001
At a prayer meeting tonight but will not make an appearance as I wanted time to be with Ms Tan. Ironically, just spoke with her on her HP and she's still stranded on Pulau Ubin with her colleagues (the things teachers in good schools do when they are free ... can't they go watch a movie like everyone else?)and will not be back till late.

So it's just me and the prospect of dinner alone. Not that I mind that much. Just the other day I left school rather early so that I could catch Captain Corelli's Mandolin at 4.15. Watched it alone: and would have really been alone except for another couple in the cinema who I suspect bought tickets for the movie really because they wanted to make out and were sorely disappointed to find that I was an uninvited guest. For some reason, the GUYs handphone kept ringing and he just refused to answer it. As in didn't even cut the call, quickly answer and say "I'm watching a movie - call you back", or just shut it off. He would just let the call ring on and on. After irritated looks from me (I just turned my head in that direction and clicked my tongue very loudly), his girlfriend made him go out of the theatre when the phone rang. Which he did - walkig out of the cinema with the phone ringing all the way.

(To the tune of a Christmas Favourite ...)
Mobile Phone Mobile Phone
Ringing all the way
O what fun it is to spoil
Somebody else's day ... hey ...
Mobile Phone Mobile Phone
Ringing all the way
It's my right to irritate
Because the bills I pay.

Dashing to keep it quiet
each time my phone rings
is not what I will do
I will let it sing
Do you know how much
For this phone I have paid?
It's flashing lights* and melodies
are never gonna to fade ...

*- the guy had the phone in his pants pocket and for some reason, each time it rang, his pants would light up with the twinkling outline of his phone - I think he was wearing ermmm ... translucent trackpants ...

So why didn't he just cut the call?
1. He was going for a new world record in phone calls left unanswered
2. There's a new mobile phone scheme where unanswered calls chalk up points because it forces the caller to hit the voice-message - and thus paying for the call, without actually getting through
3. the guy was skipping work to make out with his girlfriend and didn't want to be caught ...
4. the guy was with someone else's girlfriend and didn't want to be caught
5. the guy was getting calls from ANOTHER girl while with his girlfriend and didn't want to be caught ...

The possibilities proliferate.

The GUY returned after awhile, and promptly fell asleep (I know because he SNORED)

The movie was worth watching. If only for the wonderfully scenic shots of the island. Actually for all the hype over Penelope Cruz, I thought she was rather shrivelled looking and has a terrible voice (and worse accent). I was actually waiting, throughout the first third of the movie or so, for some beauteous screen goddess (Ok, I've never paid real attention to what Penelope Cruz looks like...) to invade the screen and then slowly realised that Penelope Cruz was already on screen.

Anyway I shall be alone for dinner tonight. Don't know where I'll go yet. Will perhaps bring a book and eat slowly: books are great companions - they don't complain about where you're going to but speak so much. Used to tell Ms Tan: "You love animals, I love books", to which I would receive a shaking of the head ... Well, I think books are more animate than most people credit them to be ...


No comments: