Thursday, October 18, 2001

A Date

A Date 10/18/2001
Today was really relaxing. After a short bout of Bio prac invigilation at TSS (where I watched celery being cut into an assortment of shapes and sizes, while silently praying that no one would cut themselves with the "safety cutter" which hardly looked safe in the trembling hands of many a budding biologist, I went home and slept. Didn't want to go back to school because I knew people would just be asking me to do irelevant stuff. So managed to get quite a lot of marking done in the end.

Met up with one of my good girl friends, V, in the evening. She's declared herself a "free-lance editor/writer" which means she doesn't want to be tied down doing regular/proper/"i-have-to-fill-in-forms"/keep to schedule kind of work. She's writing about Lit education for some magazine and needed some ideas - which I gave - though it did turn into a ranting session after a while... It was very fun though because it's been such a long time since I've seen her and she's still as interesting as before. She's totally capable of being absolutely ditsy one moment and then fantastically insightful and lucid the next ... she was like the top Lit student in Year 1 in NUS ... and then decided to "take life easy". She's really fun to talk to. Like her because she doesn't carry any airs (she writes so densely I'm quite sure tutors sometimes gave her As because they didn't understand ...) and is so candid. Anyway, she's drifting.

If not for V life in NUS would have been totally mundane. Not knowing anyone else then, she was friendly enough to talk with me (same 1st year tutorial group for Lit) and to hang out. I guess it was through her that I got to know some of people in NUS. It was interesting - she would be this like always partying person, ("can we meet at Book Club at Mohd Sultan Road ... you don't know where? Never mind ... MPH ..." who got hit on by men from an assortment of ethnic groups and in the most strange locations. And I was like the nerd side-kick whom she would on occassion share her angst with.

Anyway, while there was a moment in NUS when I thought I was quite "fond" (loaded term)of her, but that idea passed ... she was way too hip and cool to be with someone like me. (ie she thought it was a stupid idea ...)

Anyway - she's a good friend.

No comments: