Friday, October 12, 2001

Names

Names 10/12/2001
Have realised (after reading several ODs and reading comments) that names are an interesting indication of what we think of people, or how we hide our identities. In effect, names are the strongest defence we have against the outside world. Felt this as I perused ODs and realised that you seem to know who the person/people referred to are, but without the names you can't quite confirm. Reminds me of using names in the Army.
Sergeant asks: "What's your name"
Only an IDIOT will say my name is "Aloysius" (eg)
I went known as "Lim". You see - everyone is Lim.

Then there are the names of cyberspace. A way of re-constructing a self through a little moniker. I suppsoe since we only expose a side of us through text and short comments, we choose names that are perhaps fantasy constructions. "Limit" was chosen because it's the only word that can be formed by inserted a single vowel into my initials. (Do't even think of "lomot" or "lumut" - they aren't words anyway) In effect, it reflects my interest in language and how the contraints of formal rules shape our identities. The duality in the name - "am I limited or limiting" is also a constant reminder that I need to remain aware of my own ... err ... limits.

Anyway, referring to people, there is a strange movement sometimes when you have to relate to two different streams. For example, yesterday was talking to both teacher and students at same time and had to refer to another teacher. Still not used to being formal I always refer to teachers by first names. So it was like ... I'll hand it to Cat... errm... Mrs Yeow. So strange. Even stranger is when other teachers call you by your formal tag. Especially when Mrs Blaw wants to speak with me along a corridor in a classroom - she'll go "Mr Lim ..." So funny. Makes no diff for me with the older teachers, cause I call them "Mrs this ..." "Mrs that ..." or even "Mdm ..."