Monday, January 07, 2002

Last Saturday - 1/7/2002

I met up with some of the beloved from 4K 2001. HY called me at like 10 pm and "mr lim mr lim (some habits die hard ...) meet us at HV ..." Considering it was that versus a whole pile of Sec 2 article reviews ... I slipped out of the house and went to HV. And I didn't regret it. It was really quite amusing to see the bunch that was there in their HC get up - all wearing shorts and Orientation Ts. But what really was heart-warming was the fact that they spoke of school in such a enthusiastic and excited manner. I'm glad they're in a place where they can enjoy and love school. Perhaps it's only been a week of orientation and the "real" stuff hasn't started - but at least they seem really positive about it.

Brought them to this place in HV where there's a hill which quietly overlooks ... well there's not much of a scenery. Anyhow it's been tiled and cemented such that it's become very sanitised and a little artificial. Used to love the place when it was really more like a hill-top. I've always been attracted to the idea that just behind this noisy pub filled hang out place there's really quite a gem. Anyway we sat and talked and talked and laughed and it was quite enjoyable.

Also brought them there because I went there during JC orientation (I mean after JC orientation for the year ones, when I was in J2 and "pretending" to be involved in it so that I could cut classes ...). Went there with M after the one of the Orientation days - cause we hadn't talked for like 2 weeks because she was on the main comm for Orientation ...) We sat the whole night on a hard cold wooden bench and talked. Was quite crazy cause we then went to school "like that" the next day -

Anyway I actually wrote a poem about that some years later after M and I had broken up and were studying in different worlds ... . It's rather stilted cause at that point in time I was into writing Sonnets:

A Remembrance

Tonight the village twinkled half asleep,
In stars of orange and white, the shaded hues
Of lamplit sitting rooms, the gazing view
Upon the outside world in darkness deep.
Tonight the high place uncovered from the heap
Of memories lost, the old replaced by new
Fears and desires which trembled as they grew
To extinguish the heavens, in a single sweep.

Now three years, the wooden benches remain,
The walking footsteps often trailing still,
A breezy rustle, which whispers out my name,
Still echoes through that grassy stone worn hill.
One night, one cast, one roll, a decision made:
One cry, one anguished hand upon you laid!

Anyway - after that cold night on the hill - I promptly fell ill with the chicken pox and missed another 2 weeks of school.

No comments: