Wednesday, January 23, 2002

Shoes: - 1/23/2002

Instead of the standard Oral Exams that everyone's been doing for years ("With as much detail as possible tell me anout this picture ...") Lower Sec actually gets to give two minute talks this year which will count towards their Oral grade. And so - I've been practicing so that I can give an example talk tomorrow ...

Prop: Shoe
Title: Why I wear my shoes ...

This may seem to be an ordinary pair of shoes. In a sense it is, being a simple pair of black leather shoes. But they're special to me because these were the shoes that I got married in.

I remember how I came to own them. I've never a very good shopper for clothes and accessories because I usually wear what people give me for gifts. So I was quite tramatised in the weeks before my wedding where I had to buy many things. It was just a few days before the event when I realised I didn't have a pair of decent shoes. Everything seemed so expensive and I was not willing to fork out two to three hundred dollars for a pair of shoes. Then I happened to be at Robinsons' during one of their infamous sales and this pair of shoes caught my eye, mainly because it was only $70. There was only one pair left in my size and so I bought them. At first I was worried my wife would object to how cheap they were but then I later found out she wasn't even buying shoes for the wedding but was borrowing a pair from a friend who had gotten married several months earlier.

And so it was in this pair of shoes that I stood trembling slightly in front of 400 people as I waited for my bride who left me waiting at the altar because she was caught in traffic lights; it was in this pair of shoes that I gave a word perfect recitation of my wedding vows, it was in this pair of shoes that I first kissed my wife in public and it was in this pair of shoes that I walked out of church married.

Some people like to preserve their wedding suits or shoes in a closet, safe and clean, for memory's sake. I, however, prefer to wear my shoes everyday.

No comments: