Sunday, August 15, 2004

Leaving on a Jet Plance

Is a song that I've always thought was very cheesy. Not least because John Denver sang it. But if songs provide the unobstrusive haunting background music of our lives and we look to them to provide some form of release from the otherwise mechanical process of checking-in, queuing up, sitting down and flying off, here's a song for the moment. Of course the specifics are all inappropriate -- but that line -- "All my bags are packed and I'm ready to go ..." it gets me.
I'm glad about the chance to go. to do something different for a while -- not that different considering that it's all Lit and teaching still. There is a stubborn romantic belief that I need to know about what living "over there" is like -- if only for a short while. I have no grand ambitions about moving away "for good" or "making it" elsewhere. I remain firmly believing that it doesn't really matter where you are as long as your read the right books, think about things, keep the music always playing in the background of your mind. But when the opportunity presents itself -- or rather -- when I've worked so hard to make this "leaving" happen, I can't help but invest a certain amount of desire and anticipation in the event.
Of course leaving isn't going to be easy. It's probably easier for me than Ms Tan, who has such strong ties with family and friends here. I know I will try very hard to keep in touch -- with people who want to know about what's going on, with people who have shared special moments with me -- but I also know that we're creatures of presence (believing or caught, intensely entangled in the metaphysics of presence, exposed, if not denied, by Derrida but affirmed in the redeeming illusions of touch, whispers, sighs, smells) and that being so far away will make casual coffee breaks, long lunches, and the occassional dinner meeting onyl cherished memories. I'm bringing as much of my life as I can, the books (26 in all -- an assortment of sizes ...) and my CD collection, diligently translated into 10 gigs on my imac) and I suppose that'll help. But the quotidian will be missed. Mush missed, I suppose, only when I'm there and face a new set of mundane challenges without the friends and acquaintences that make life just that little bit more interesting.
So -- a silent good bye.

7 comments:

Arkaine said...

Haha, good bye, congrats, and all the best!

- Jingxian

Anonymous said...

cause ur leaving on a jet plane don't know when u'll be back a again...

:D erm.. do take pictures on the plane but not in the toilet :p.. haha enjoy the inflight movies and have a nice trip

-kelvin

Anonymous said...

no doubt the parting will be difficult but hey at least its a whole new experience . We're not going to forget you , at least not me . so i guess one of the few things you wouldn't want to take over there would be our memories of you . Cheesy , but i'm sure you get the point. Bon voyage .

-paul-

Anonymous said...

hey mr lim.. haven't seen you for a really long time. couldn't make it for the gathering that sat cuz i was in taiwan.. yeah hope you're doing well -feng

Anonymous said...

who cares as long as the melody's pleasant.. =P btw, jewel did a cover of that song...
Sometimes only through these experiences does one come to savour memories more... oops, hope i don't sound too cliched... ;)
anyway, enjoy ur discovery of 'what living over there' is all about... ^_^

~shareen~

agnes said...

whoa so cheem
i guess it must be hard to leave everything behind, but with advancements in technology, u have no excuse not to keep in touch with all of us :) we'll miss your animated GP lessons... hope you'll have a great time in NY

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Teenage body fat