Sunday, September 30, 2001

Fond Rememberance

Fond Rememberance 9/30/2001
I suppose one way to not lose sight of what we're doing is to remember how difficult it was to get here. I consciously write now knowing that I want the Kids to read this - probably after they're graduation - so they know how I've felt ove rthe past year. it ties things up and shows them a little more about myself - which is important if they're going to know how to reflect and think about their own lives ...

When I was first told by Mrs K that I had to teach 4K I was pretty apprehensive - after all, wasn't that the class that had quite a lot of trouble with the school the previous year? Also, didn't it already have a dynamic teacher in Ai Ling - so why me? Mrs K explained that I really didn't have much of a choice anyway ... plus I was supposed to FORM teacher the class - sigh -

So I went to class with an attitude of just getting things done. Let's be professional about this. Don't change the world Gary - just let things carry on. I remember being clear in our first class committee (and only) meeting about how I didn't want to intrude into things and let the class just carry on as it had been going on. I felt uneasy interacting with 4K right at the beginning (what's all this laughter when QinYao is nominated to by DY Classchairperson ... why did HuiYi say "Really ah, Mr Lim?"

After all, Faith hadn't really said very good stuff about the class - that they were just into being entertained and weren't very forgiving about teachers.

So I guess I went into it with just wanting to get things done - I'd get my "real" satisfaction in teaching from 4M and of course from 4B.