Friday, February 01, 2002

UnBound - 2/1/2002

I've never advertised anyone else's OD here, but this is a first - you guys need to read the poem written by "UnBound" (latest entry called "...I shun labels... "). It's one of the sharpest insights I've seen about the failure of negation and how the attempt to be elusive ends up drenched in the very thing that you tried to dissociate yourself from.

On a lighter note - was given a talking to by HOD today - albeit it was a pleasant talking to if ever there's such a thing, cause I over-stepped the bounds of propriety and the heirachy by volunteering to bring out the boys' tennis team for their competition. My justifications were simple: They should get a chance to play in an inter-school tournament after so many years in the CCA. But the school didn't have a teacher to send with them. Enter me. I guess I could have cleared it with HOD first before saying yes and getting my name all entered and allowing the boys' team to be drawn etc ... but I kinda knew that if I'd asked for approval, it probably wouldn't have been given. Anyway, I guess the fait acompli was successful, cause the boys are in the tournament and whether or not the school allows me to go with them, they'll still get to compete (I hope ...) Yay - finally something for the underdogs!

I wonder however, if they'll keep closer tabs on me ... heh heh ... should act very suspiciously but actually have nothing going on ... just for kicks ...

On an even lighter note : I've managed to get Ms Tan's birthday prezzie. It's highly ornamental and totally redundant. (yay another blow to pragmatism) But it's so pretty! And I even managed to get one that looks quite nice, instead of the cheaper versions. Did however have to run to several places to look for it ... Was quite pleased in the end when I say it in a nice furniture shop at Suntec. Wished they had another colour though, cause the one I've gotten is quite gaudy. Fingers crossed that she'll like it ... I've stowed it away with my mom so Ms Tan won't get a look at it ... yet.

Looking forward to the Chinese New Year break. Obviously it'll be nice to take a few days off from the routine of form filling etc ... we're becoming professional form fillers - And I'm not sure I'm even qualified for the job. I've only read about idelogies, love, romance, defeat, death, depression, agony, despair, desolation, beauty, grace, redemption, the search for truth, art, fiction, lies, ironies, critical analyses, lit theories, and now to fill in IC numbers in columns and rows? Oooo what a challenge. (Sadly - hey but I'm not crying are you? - ... I somehow managed to get that wrong ... should have filled ACROSS and not DOWN ... mind you, there ARE people whose goal in life is to make sure your form is filled ACROSS and not DOWN ...)

Thought of the day :To all form fillers - make a mistake. Leave out something, maybe the letter in your IC number, or mispell your name. Perhaps you could write only six numbers for your phone number or claim you earn 300 000 a month. Write "Ms" instead of "Mr", write "298" for your PSLE score. Give the people whose lives depend on checking these things, something to look forward to ...

No comments: