Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sir Degare Goes On

Then a fairy knight, a rape, and a prophecy.
Than segh hi swich a sight:
Toward hire comen a knight,
Gentil, yong, and jolif man;
A robe of scarlet he hadde upon;
His visage was feir, his bodi ech weies;
Of countenaunce right curteis;
Wel farende legges, fot, and honde:
Ther nas non in al the Kynges londe
More apert man than was he.
"Damaisele, welcome mote thou be!
Be thou afered of none wihghte:
Iich am comen here a fairi knyghte;
Mi kynde is armes for to were,
On horse to ride with scheld and spere;
Forthi afered be thou nowt:
I ne have nowt but mi swerd ibrout.
Iich have iloved the mani a yer,
And now we beth us selve her,
Thou best mi lemman ar thou go,
Wether the liketh wel or wo."
Tho nothing ne coude do she
But wep and criede and wolde fle;
And he anon gan hire at holde,
And dide his wille, what he wolde.
He binam hire here maidenhod,
And seththen up toforen hire stod.
"Lemman," he seide, "gent and fre,
Mid schilde I wot that thou schalt be;
Siker ich wot hit worht a knave;
Forthi mi swerd thou sschalt have,
And whenne that he is of elde
That he mai himself biwelde,
Tak him the swerd, and bidde him fonde
To sechen his fader in eche londe.
The swerd his god and avenaunt:
Lo, as I faugt with a geaunt,
I brak the point in his hed;
And siththen, when that he was ded,
I tok hit out and have hit er,
Redi in min aumener.
Yit paraventure time bith
That mi sone mete me with:
Be mi swerd I mai him kenne.
Have god dai! I mot gon henne."
Then she saw such a sight:
Coming toward her was a knight,
A young man, noble and comely;
A scarlet robe upon his body;
Fair were his form and face;
He appeared with such charm and grace;
With well-shaped legs, feet and hands:
There was no other in the King's lands
More attractive than was he.
"Damsel, welcome you must be!
Be not afraid of any of us:
As a fairy knight, I've come thus:
It's in my nature with arms to appear
To ride a horse with shield and spear.
Therefore, be you not afraid
No weapon have I but sword displayed.
I have loved you many a year
And now alone I find you here,
We will make love before you go,
Whether it brings you joy or woe."
Then, nothing could she have done
But weep and scream and try to run;
Her body, at once, he began to seize,
And did his will just as he pleased.
Thus he snatched her of maidenhood,
And afterwards above her stood.
"Beloved," he said, "gentle and mild,
I know that you will be with child;
Indeed, you will give birth to a boy;
So take my sword in your employ.
When he's all grown and has the might
To wield it: Give it as his right,
So that he with sword in hand
May seek his father in every land.
The sword is good and well-wrought
Once, when I a giant fought,
I broke the point in his head;
And later, after he was dead,
I took it out—and so I vouch—
I have it here in my pouch.
Perhaps in the future there will be
A moment when my son meets me:
By my sword, him I'll know.
Have a good day! I now must go."

No comments: