Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Movie Binge

Edna and I have been going to the movies quite a lot. Since the 23rd, we've gone to the cinemas and watched four films--Sherlock Holmes, An Education, It's Complicated, and Nine--which is pretty heavy movie watching traffic for us since we also watch stuff on DVD at home (which involved two Fred Astair films, The Name of the Rose, The Holiday - more Edna than me -, Purab Aur Pacham (me) and some episodes of The Gilmore Girls).

1. Sherlock Holmes: I really liked the gray gray landscape and the grandiose cinematography. The plot was terrible (when we got home I promptly insisted that we watch The Name of the Rose because it's so much better as a "mystery" movie even if that's the least of its concerns). Showing Holmes' mental processes in slow-mo before he acts was a nice touch but then re-playing everything (perfectly) in "real time" after encapsulated how predictable this movie is.

2. It's Complicated. We actually tried to watch this on Sunday but it was sold out. I can't imagine the hordes of teenage girls (yes, they were with their parents, but still ...) wanting to watch this. I didn't even really want to watch it. Still, when we returned on Monday, there was a sizeable crowd and lots of people were really enjoying themselves laughing at the romantic knots that old people tie themselves into. I suppose the fantasy about getting back with one's ex (especially around the Holiday season) after the kids have grown up is pretty powerful.

3. Nine. Because It's Complicated was sold out on Sunday, we watched Nine, which I really wanted to see anyway since I like Fellini films. I thought that the musical about the paralyzing, neurotic creative process (or elegant procrastination) was very nicely done. I have a thing for films where nothing much happens and Nine certainly fit the bill. I think the audience didn't really like it. A lady sitting to our right left during a Penelope Cruz number, never to return. Maybe watching voluptuous women touching themselves in time to music isn't something you're supposed to do on a Sunday in the South.
Still, I appreciated the whole meta-cinematic feel of Nine, especially how the "set" that gets taken down at the end without having actually been used to make a film IS the space where every musical number (save one) happens. It's just that kind of momentary recognition in a film that gestures to its status as a clever construct that I enjoy.

No comments: