Thursday, June 26, 2008

"They're GREEN ... but chewy ..."

So, I decided to do something different after the moderate success of the fruit tart (which is still sitting in the fridge, tempting me to pack on the calories every time I open it ...) Edna likes chewy oatmeal raisin cookies, and I figured that to increase my chances of making something that she would find palatable (and thus not end up eating everything myself), I'd make those.
To add to the interest value of the project, I decided that I'd substitute butter with avocado. As every avid reader of SHAPE magazine knows, avocado is supposed to be a great substitute for butter -- and Edna reminded me. However, we didn't remember which issue actually had a recipe, and instead of flipping through a year's worth of magazine's, I decided, totally arbitrarily, that

1 Avocado = 1 stick of butter

So, the first instruction was something like "whip butter until creamed ..." and I'm like, ok, how does one do that with two somewhat mushy avocados? I ended up cutting them into small bits with my now trusty pastry cutter, and stirring them vigorously. Despite having religiously done bicep curls and miscellaneous arm moves for a while now, my forearms were getting tired with the whisk I was using (Someone should work out the Cook's Work Out). An amazing thing happened, however, after I added sugar and continued stirring vigorously: the mixture actually did become a little fluffy! Which was the very moment when I realized that I'd forgotten to buy the OATS from Meijer ... Thankfully, oats ARE a low-cost convenience food and I managed to walk out to a nearby gas-station and get a tub of good old Quaker Oats (who says gas-stations only stock junk food ....)

Anyway, the cookies are great, even if their odd shape illustrates how aesthetically challenged I am. As Edna put it, some of them are monstrously large - but at least now I can eat just one cookie and say that it was satisfying ... They don't taste too rich, because there isn't any butter in them and they're extremely moist and chewy. Of course, they are really quite green!

No comments: