Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Getting Flaky?














Having recently finished a chapter of the dissertation, I decided to do something different for the next few days before starting up again. I ended up making a fruit tart today. I was pretty keyed up to do this - I even went out and got a pastry cutter to make sure that I wouldn't smear the butter. It turned out quite nicely, except that my inexperience with pie crusts meant that it definitely could have been much more flaky - I think I added too much water in trying to get the dough to "come together" cause I don't think I worked it too hard. But I've done my homework (by watching videos on crust making technique - though it's pretty unbelievable how these people get the dough to stay together with the tiny amounts of water they use ... ) and I'm going to try this again ... soon! And I'll make sure I do fancy edges the next time! Still, the tart IS really yummy - at least Edna thinks so!

No comments: