Friday, February 29, 2008

Luck of the Draw

Having never won anything in a lucky draw, raffle or even a table prize in one of those staff dinners, I was most irritated to receive the following this morning and thus have embellished it with my petty comments:

Dear Sir,

VERIFICATION OF OVERSEAS STATUS

1. On your application, an electronic Exit Permit (eEP) no. IAT 6863, valid from 02/08/2007 to 01/08/2010 for the purpose of your overseas study in USA ["for study in the USA" would be clearer as it gets around the passive construction and still sounds bureaucratic], was issued to you.

2. We are conducting a routine random verification exercise [never win lucky draw can get picked for this kind of thing ...] and you have been selected [as one of 2 lucky winners of an all expense paid trip to climb Peng Kang hill ... ] by our system to furnish documentary proof of your current overseas status [again, "proof that you are currently overseas" would be less clumsy].

3. Please let us have an updated documentary proof ["an" is wrong] certifying the purpose of your overseas stay [Re-write as: "Please let us have a document explaining why you are overseas". I should think that "certification" can't refer to a "purpose" but to the legality of my current status, something which the system already has, since it approved my permit] such as a company letter stating the duration of overseas employment [I think they should have more than one form letter for this, since point one already acknowledges that I applied for the permit "for the purpose of my overseas study in the USA"] with the name and designation of the signatory or a properly endorsed school letter stating the level and full duration of your course. You may email or fax the relevant document(s) to us at 63733173, within 1 month from the date of this letter. [of course, this being MINDEF, there isn't a date on the letter] Thank you.

4. Should you require clarification, please contact the Exit Permit Office at 63733136/38/39 or the MINDEF eServices Centre at +65 65676767, if you are calling from overseas [from "a location overseas" would be more correct, though I will concede that in Singaporean English "overseas" has become a proper noun, in the same way that outremer was the shorthand reference to the Crusader Kingdoms in Medieval Europe] , or [a semi-colon would correct the run-on: "overseas; or,"] 1800-3676767 (1800-eNSNSNS), if you are calling in Singapore.

Yours faithfully, [I'm glad you're still faithful ...]

Susan Woo (Mdm)
NS Registration & Enlistment Centre (NSREC)
Tel : 6373 3139
Fax : 6373 3173

Given that Susan Woo (Mdm) probably didn't write the standard letter and NS
clerks did, it really isn't her fault ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got this via e-mail today. I'm amused, to say the least, and my boss will be too if I have to get him to write a letter...

Anonymous said...

Wah haha...why lidat xial Mr Lim...seems like your run-ins with the army have not ended as yet man...after so many yers suddenly resurrect you from their register rolls...for this seemingly anal and pointless exercise...think they really just wanna tekan NS clerks man

I think your story has bested my weird one about the strange person who anonymously replies to my enquiries about my reservice...never really telling me his name/designation and insists on using private email (after office hours) instead of MINDEF email to contact me..weird..