Sunday, November 19, 2006

those proliferating blogs

Of course, I've started yet another blog -- in a vain attempt to try to pretend you can life several existences (not just several selves) at once. Anyway, it's right here:

http://gettingmedieval.wordpress.com/

The blog's meant to keep track of the intellectual process, engagements and dead-ends with the material that I'm working into a dissertation. I guess it's a way to announce and convince myself that ... yeeep ... it's time to get cracking with something specific and (hopefully) consequential.

I've also been reading the wife's dissertation, which has ended up running into 280 plus pages. I've actually read most of it during the past two years, as she worked on portions of it. I'm primarily the "grammar" reader to catch the slips and formatting oddities (like in APA, does one use square brackets for insertions that are used to regularize quotes ... [no], or
does the punctuation mark come before or after you close the quote if there are no citations -- ie when you quote what your 'subjects' say in class [they come before] ...) But it's also a powerful piece, all assembled about what teachers and students can do to make the classroom a more engaging place. And no, it doesn't involve any inspiring teaching: just lots of daily interventions.

No comments: