Saturday, April 28, 2007

Death of an Artist

The death of cellist Mstilav Rostropovich reminded me of one of my favorite pieces of music. It's Beethoven's Triple Concerto and I'm listening to the "historic" recording that Rostropovich made with Herbert von Karajan right now. Being somewhat of a closet (and superficial) enjoyer of classical music, the Triple Concerto is something that I can really say th'at I like very much (see, my appreciation of this stuff is only on the scale of "like", "don't like", or "like very much". The Triple Concerto was one of the first discs of classical music that I owned. That was a recording that featured Yo Yo Ma, Anne Sophie Mutter (both looking and being pretty young) and von Karajan. (For some reason, I've been searching in vain for it for several years now ... must have lent it to someone) Anyway, here are links to Amazon samples:

Great Recordings Of The Century - Beethoven: Triple Concerto; Brahms: Double Concerto / Oistrakh, Rostropovich, Richter


Beethoven: Triple Concerto; Egmont, Coriolan, Fidelio Overtures

No comments: