Sunday, July 16, 2006

Another What If ...

Inspired by a link, here's another attempt at writing a song. It struck me that the language of critical theory might provide a rich and allusive language for music. What if someone wrote songs that dealt with the matter of crit theory. Anyways -- here's the A-side of my latest efforts. I'll record the B-side tomorrow (having recklessly dashed off two obscure sets of lyrics today). I haven't figured out a name for it -- so suggestions would be nice.

Here

Them Lyrics:

I wept to see your Body
Riddled all throughout
With blinded eyes and broken teeth
your lips that couldn't shout
Muscles all unravelled
Disintegrating time
Desire freely flowing
Decoding the sublime

I leapt in fear to see your heart
Pulse without a beat:
Illusion of the inside
Sacred in defeat
The violence of the symbol
Waiting to be torn
Desire freely flowing
Decoded and forlorn.

I understood you badly
Accusing with the Real:
That absence already always
Draws you onward still
The mirror image you yourself
Will never recognize:
Desire freely flowing
In spite of all the lies.

I laughed to see the prayers
Offered up to form,
Measured in a language
Foreign and still-born
Prison-house of memory
Hoping to restore
Desire freely flowing
Somehow making pure

I thought I wrote you poems
Whose words would demonstrate
The poverty of presence
The hollowness of fate:
But I will never understand
I'm too afraid to know
Desire freely flowing
Where I must never go.

I dreamt I felt your Body
Pressing against mine
With falling hair and shoulders bare
A moment without time
And tracing just beneath your breath
In whispers that would save
Desire freely flowing
Stronger than the grave

No comments: