Monday, July 04, 2005

xiv

After meaning to for a long while I finally watched 2046. I found it pretty awesome, with delicious allusions to all the man's previous films. Some people told me it was painfully slow and hard to sit through. I found it gorgeous and thought it should have gone on at least an hour more. Then again, I watch it in strange circumstances, in the midst of unconjugated Latin verbs and poorly cooked lamb chops, without Ms Tan around, strange circumstances.

I found the film extremely coherent with all the female leads stunning (especially Gong Li -- oh for an hour more of that story ... and Faye Wong ... I remember Quentin Tarantino speaking at light speed about how he can't get her out of his head everytime he hears that Cranberries' song** after watching her performance in Chungking Express and saying WHO WOULDN'T have a crush on her...) Loved the interiors and watching through doorways and listening through, sometimes even passing the materiality of words through, cardboard walls.



**Just been alerted to the fact that the song should be "California Dreaming" Faye Wong sings a cantonese version of a Cranberries' song (a separate fact mentioned by Tarantino, I believe)

1 comment:

fey said...

It should have went on for longer, I agree. Especially on the train.