Thursday, September 09, 2004

Gary, when are we going to do some writing?

An interesting occurrence in class today. After about 30 mins of talking about the Freud piece that we were supposed to be reading in preparation for a long writing assignment, one of the students, frustrated, asked me, “Why are we doing all this? isn’t this supposed to be English 101?” And I had a mini-coup on my hands.

People started piping up, “Yeah – when are we going to do some writing? All we’re doing is talking about ideas. We’re supposed to be writing!”
“Aren’t you going to tell us exactly what we need to do in the writing assignment?”
“We need to know exactly what the 101 course is about!”
“I don’t get this stuff. It’s just too hard. I need to get writing.”

I desperately tried to explain that we would get to the writing soon. But they weren’t appeased. After the lesson, a group stayed back and explained the situation to me.

Several had been taking ENGL 095, an even more basic writing course where they dealt with paragraph structure, points of grammar and essay structure very explicitly. They’d been told exactly what to do when writing an essay. They wanted the same thing. They wanted to write, or be told what exactly to write.

Which struck me as rather significant.

First – no student, in my time teaching in Singapore has ever stopped a class where we were having a discussion about ideas (and mind you, the lesson this morning WAS an animated discussion of ideas) to insist that we should be writing.
Second – the age old question: can we write without content? The students wanted to write BUT they did not get the Freud. How much understanding of ideas is required for writing?
Third – the pragmatics of the situation manifested itself.
• “Do you know it’s taken me two years to qualify for this class!” ie I’ve spend two years in remedial English and I need to pass this class!
• “If I don’t pass this class, I don’t get my financial aid and I can’t continue ...”

My compromise? Instead of discussing the passages some more – we were supposed to apply the Freud to a short story, I said we would do writing in the next lesson, based on the Freud alone. I actually don’t think this is a satisfactory situation because it means that people will be writing in a vacuum. But at least it’ll allay some panic about being prepared for the exam and it’ll get some work done.



8 comments:

S.H said...

hey mr lim! shihao here... hope you're doing fine...haha seems like you are!

Anonymous said...

I think all writing is a disease. You can't stop it.
- William Carlos Williams

Anonymous said...

Well, NY sounds very different from Singapore... The way you describe the class, it doesn't even sound like one! I can't believe they enjoy writing so much, but I suppose it's just the different focus and perspectives that they have. Perhaps it isn't like in Singapore, where the whole cohort gets promoted to the next level as one-- it sounds as if they sign up for different classes and levels when they are comfortable with it, and not as a class/ cohort. Btw, have you received my email? Just checking, coz I think I sent it long time ago, but have not gotten a reply yet. Wondering if your hotmail account is working fine. :)
serene ;)

Arkaine said...

Seriously, the poor sods have no idea what they're getting into. Ah well.

- JX

muniverse said...

Hi, yijia here......em...I think I could empathize with these students...

Since they are from "immigrant and underpriviledged backgrounds" there must be a purpose of them spending the time and resources on getting this college degree apart from getting "a better education, a broader mind, the ability to think from different perspectives..." so and so...their ultimate aim is to " get a better job", rite? so they can earn more....it is just like...(well hope you wont mind....but you really should know the sense of purpose in all students' mind.....) all of us in singapore are now trying desperately to get an above-B4 grade for GP. GP really taught us a lot, especially through the discussions, I want to say again that your GP lesson was really enjoyable and enriching!! but what made GP not so nice is the sense of purpose in it, we want to get good grades, so as to have better chance of being admitted to overseas colleges, to get government scholarships.....this is true with every subject, once there is a purpose in the learning process other than learning itself, it will be a wholly different thing.
it is... tainted....
Well, Mr. Lim, maybe you will have to partially change back to what you used to be....the GP teacher who taught us the five kinds of paragraph structures, the GP teacher who taught us the different approaches to writing introductions and conclusions, and the GP teacher who aimed to lead us to get B grades for A levels....you might have to instill a...what should I say...a utilitarian element into it....our aim was "B grade" and our counterparts in US was "to pass this class!"

muniverse said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

narcissitic fools

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! electrostatic plotters betting Us direct student loan Sally hansen no heat gel hair remover Guadalajara cheap rent a car paxil nexium testimony handbag jelly kelly Infants puma jogging suits http://www.winsor-pilates-2.info national car rental Shakespeare tennis Hp fax 1220xi Win slot machines State of iowa tax rate hair loss organin